The Belfast skies are overcast, but our BFS hearts are full of sunshine… soooo many rays to share! (Here are the high points, with bright shining details via links.)
Fireside Chat 2/15:
Tues, Feb 15, 5:00-6:30 pm ~ BFS & Waterfall Arts ~ Join Jennifer Armstrong and Chrissy Fowler around the campfire, sharing your stories about community music & dance, fiddle tunes, contra dancing, and/or shoes that fly. Details on our calendar or here.
Flying Shoes on First Fridays:
“Mac’s Music and Movie” was full of music, laughter, stories and community connection, thanks to everyone who joined us! This PDF has info about the workshop tunes (Amelia and S.G. Smith), the video by David Millstone (Paid to Eat Ice Cream), and Bob “Mac” McQuillen’s recordings and Bob’s Note Books.
And now… get ready to March Forth with Greg Boardman, Steve Muise and Elsie Gawler at our next Flying Shoes First Friday event, Friday, March 4 at 6:00 pm. Details on our calendar.
Album Release Concert:
Tues, Feb 22 at 7:00 pm at the Bazz (17 Court St in Belfast) ~ Ethan Stokes Tischler, music educator and BFS Board Member, celebrates the release of “Across the Waking Skies” with a concert featuring Elsie Gawler, Willy Clemetson, Noah Fishman & Edith Gawler (cool poster here).
Plenty of sunshine to enjoy in the realm of online music & dance:
- Indigenous Arts & Culture Winter Series, presented by Pinewoods Camp (PCI):
- Tues, Feb 15, 7-8 pm ~ Voices of the Land: Indigenous Songs of the Northeast
- Tues, March 15, 7-8 pm ~ Indigenous Connections to the Land and Building a Meaningful Acknowledgement
- Virtual Maine Fiddle Camp (v-MFC) ~ February 12, and every 2nd Saturday, from November thru June, we will gather on Zoom for classes, specialty workshops, and more fol-de-rol! Register.
- New England Folk Festival Association (NEFFA) ~ Record yourself singing Thousands or More for the Virtual Pub Sing, or playing Inisheer, Simple Gifts, and Saint Anne’s Reel for the Async Jam (Deadline Feb 11). Or submit a video of yourself or your Ritual Dance Team. Be part of this year’s NEFFA festival, April 22-24.
- Square Dance History ~ Thursdays, February 10, 17, and 24 at 8:00 pm, presented by CDSS. David Millstone shares the rich history and regional variety of square dancing in this in-depth, three part series (with photos and audio and video! Oh my! Info and Registration
- CDSS Common Time ~ Every third Monday of the month at 7:30 pm. Feb 21 is “The Caller’s Toolbox: Gender-free calling for contra callers”. Info & Registration
These participatory music & dance camps are planning to be open for summer 2022 — Yup, that is some blazing hot sunshine in the long range forecast!
- Maine Fiddle Camp (MFC) ~ weekends and weeklong camps in June & August, all instruments, at a new venue on Lake Cobboseecontee
- Mainewoods Dance Camp ~ weeklong camps in August in Fryeburg, International Folk Dancing plus customs, traditions, and food of various countries around the world.
- Country Dance & Song Society Camps (CDSS) ~ many dates, many camp themes (including immersion programs for musicians and leaders) in N.H., Massachusetts, Michigan & Maryland
- Swing Into Summer (SIS) ~ the first weekend at Pinewoods Camp in Plymouth, MA