Trad Dance & Music in Belfast & Beyond:
- English Country Dancing: Info: (207) 568-7597 or [email protected]
- Scottish Country Dancing: Weekly dancing, includes lessons. Info: (207) 469-3293, or (207) 722-3139.
- Maine Fiddle Camp: Multi-generational and multi-instrumental music camp in Montville teaches many traditions of dance music as they’ve evolved in Maine. Many BFS dancers & performers attend and/or teach at MFC.
- Belfast Bay Fiddlers: Jam session every Sunday 6-8pm. Amateur musicians devoted to playing and sharing traditional fiddle music. All melody and rhythm players are welcome. Many of the BBF join the All Comers Band for the 1st Friday Community Dance. BBF website has tunes, gig opportunities & more.
- Shapenote Singing (including Sacred Harp music): Info: (503) 559-9699 or [email protected]
- DEFFA.org lists Maine dances, including ones in Waldo County.
Dance & Music Orgs:
- DownEast Friends of the Folk Arts (DEFFA) – Maine’s music and dance nonprofit, produces annual DownEast Country Dance Festival & online event listings
- Country Dance & Song Society (CDSS) – National nonprofit devoted to our traditions. CDSS hosts summer music & dance camps and more. Belfast Flying Shoes is a CDSS Affiliate Member.
- New England Folk Festival Association (NEFFA) – Regional nonprofit sponsors dances in greater Boston, including a folk festival in April.
Belfast is HAPPENING!
Greater Belfast is a vibrant, eclectic community with lots of things going on ALL YEAR LONG. Check it out on First Fridays and beyond!
- Our Town Belfast: Growing and sustaining our historic downtown with events & more.
- Belfast Chamber of Commerce: Food, lodging, events & more. Belfast Flying Shoes is a non-profit member.
- Belfast Farmer’s Market: Buy local on Fridays, 9a-1p.
- WBFY Belfast Community Radio (We Broadcast for You) Flying Shoes Radio Hour every week on this hyper-local radio station.
- Belfast Community Media: Local public access station has content on Vimeo, including “Sing Along & Tap Your Toes” concerts for older adults, and a feature about BFS on the program “Somewhere In Waldo County”.
- WERU Community Radio: Listen online or 89.9 FM (99.9 FM in Bangor.) Some BFS performers do on-air radio appearances on WERU. The March 6, 2007 “Voices” program featuring BFS is archived here. Belfast Flying Shoes is a nonprofit member.
- Belfast Summer Nights: Outdoor concerts on Thursday evenings in the summer. Info: (207) 322-7123
- Waterfall Arts: Community arts nonprofit with gallery, studios & programming for all ages. Also houses the WBFY Community Radio Station.
- Friday Art Walk: Local galleries, food & more.
- Belfast Poetry Festival: Community–based, non-academic literary festival with poetry readings, workshops, artist/poet collaborative projects in local galleries, etc.
- Come Boating! Community boating organization offers free rowing and sailing.