- DEFFA.org lists Maine dances, including ones in Waldo County – English Country Dances in Unity, Scottish Country Dances in Belfast, and the Whippersnapper/Junketer dances in Waldo County.
Dance & Music Orgs:
- DownEast Friends of the Folk Arts (DEFFA) – Maine’s music and dance nonprofit, produces annual DownEast Country Dance Festival, a monthly newsletter & online event listings
- Country Dance & Song Society (CDSS) – National nonprofit devoted to our traditions. CDSS hosts summer music & dance camps and more. Belfast Flying Shoes is a CDSS Affiliate Member.
- New England Folk Festival Association (NEFFA) – Regional nonprofit sponsors dances in greater Boston, including a folk festival in April.
Belfast is HAPPENING!
Greater Belfast is a vibrant, eclectic community with lots of things going on ALL YEAR LONG. Check it out on First Fridays and beyond!
- Our Town Belfast: Growing and sustaining our historic downtown with events & more.
- Belfast Creative Coalition: Cultivating arts and culture – BFS is a member of BCC!
- Belfast Chamber of Commerce: Food, lodging, events & more.
- Belfast Farmer’s Market: Buy local on Fridays, 9a-1p.
- WERU Community Radio: Listen online or 89.9 FM (99.9 FM in Bangor.) Some BFS performers do on-air radio appearances on WERU.
- WERU Public Affairs Programs Archives: The March 6, 2007 Voices program featuring BFS is archived here:
- Belfast Community TV: Local public access station has content on Vimeo, including a feature on Belfast Flying Shoes (on the program: Somewhere In Waldo County).
- Belfast Bay Fiddlers: Jam session Sundays 6-8pm at Waterfall Arts. Amateur musicians devoted to playing and sharing traditional fiddle music. All melody and rhythm players are welcome. Many of the BBF join the All Comers Band for the 1st Friday Community Dance. BBF website has tunes, gig opportunities & more.
- Scottish Country Dancing: Every Monday, 7:30-9:30 pm, American Legion Hall, includes lessons. Contact: Dave at (207) 469-3293.
- Shapenote Singing (including Sacred Harp music): 2nd Mondays, 7-9 pm, First Church Parish Hall, Spring St, Belfast. Beginners welcome. Contact: Sumner at (207) 338-1265 or Bobbie at (207)594-5743.
- Maine Fiddle Camp: Multi-generational and multi-instrumental music camp in Montville teaches many traditions of dance music as they’ve evolved in Maine. Many BFS dancers & performers attend and/or teach at MFC.
- Belfast Summer Nights: Outdoor concerts on Thursday evenings in the summer. Contact: Ando at (207) 322-7123
- Waterfall Arts: Community arts nonprofit with studios & gallery.
- Friday Art Walk: Local galleries, food & more.
- Free Range Music Series: Live music in Belfast and Waldo County
- Belfast Poetry Festival: Community–based, non-academic literary festival with poetry readings, workshops, artist/poet collaborative projects in local galleries, etc.
- Belfast Bound Book Festival: A range of biblio-centric events throughout town.
- Come Boating! Community boating organization offers free rowing and sailing.